Friday, April 13, 2012

April 13: Izze Sparkling Grapefruit

I'd heard of Izze before, but I always thought it was along the lines of Jones Soda. Then about a month ago I came across this blog: KathEats She wrote a post on March 25 and it included Izze: KathEats King and I

It caught my attention, because she eats healthfully and doesn't usually drink soda. So I looked at the ingredients when I saw Izze on sale at Whole Foods, and I decided to get a couple bottles to try. They're made with juice and sparkling water, so it's not just empty calories.




A couple years ago, I was visiting my cousin in Wilmington, NC. Her husband asked her to buy grapefruit juice for him at the grocery store, and when he had a glass one night I realized I'd never had grapefruit juice before! Because I wasn't sure I would like it, I ended up taking a "shot" of it out of a medicine cup (they have kidlets). I liked it so much I just kept taking shots...also, it was really fun to drink that way!

Tonight I chose the grapefruit Izze to taste. I still have a blackberry left in the fridge.



I like it! It's sweeter than I thought it would be--almost too sweet. I don't ever drink sodas because I don't care for the carbonation, most of them have a ton of caffeine, and because I know they're empty calories and not a good habit. I don't mind the carbonation in this because there doesn't seem to be as much and it's smoother.

I sipped on it while I made dinner, and since dinner was tacos and I had fresh lime, I added a tart little lime on top to be festive.



Another fun idea I had was to play like I had a virgin margarita for a minute and rub the lime around the rim and add salt. It was yummy, and I really liked the salty against sweet taste.



It was a good drink to complement the tacos.

No comments:

Post a Comment