Monday, April 30, 2012

April 28: Go to graduation at Lander University

(This should have been posted on Saturday, April 28, but I was tired from travel the day before and a fun-filled day on Saturday. This is also the last blog post for my new things, since I had such a hard time keeping up with it. I'll be doing something else in May, which I haven't decided on yet. Probably another picture-a-day? We'll see...now on to the post!)



I have a degree in music from Lander University, but I didn't go to my graduation. In fact, as best I can remember, until today, I've never been to a college graduation before.

My sister-in-law, Megan, graduated with a degree in English today and we went to the ceremony to cheer her on!

We got all spiffied up for it too.


As you can tell from that last picture, Lee needs some coffee.


We strolled through the Cultural Center, where I spent countless hours in the auditorium, the classrooms, the music professors' offices, and the practice rooms.


Maybe this is TMI, but since I was already there, I thought I'd go enjoy the "newspaper" on the bathroom stalls one more time.


Time for graduation! The wind ensemble did a great job while we waited on the faculty and graduates.


The faculty and the graduates finally arrived, and one of my music professors sang "The Star Spangled Banner", after which were many welcomings and introductions. The speaker was a retired director and president of the Exxon Corporation. I couldn't hear him very well. I'm not sure if the acoustics in the building weren't ideal for the "nosebleed section" we were sitting in, or if the mic just wasn't adjusted for him, but unfortunately the family and I didn't hear much of what he said.

After his commencement address, the graduates were presented with their diplomas. Here is our Megan!


Megan was fifth in line! When is a name like Reynolds or O'Dell EVER near the front of the line? This was a rare treat! There were still a couple hundred students to go after Megan, so we took advantage of the time to save the princess and squash some goombas. (Mama didn't approve of the gameboy and the books! :/ At least we were quiet!)


After all the graduates received their diplomas, my music professor sang the first stanza of Lander's Alma Mater. I really enjoyed her theory classes when I was at Lander. Also, I was happy I got to see my piano professor before graduation. I miss my music professors.

While I'm glad I went to graduation, I don't like crowds. :/


Yay, Megan! :D


After graduation and pictures, we had a very nice party at the lake. I wore my Lander graduate shirt in celebration! It was a beautiful day and we all had a great time!


Congratulations to Megan! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment