Tuesday, April 10, 2012

April 10: (Electric!?) Naan

I didn't post yesterday. :/ But I did 3 new things the day before, so I don't feel guilty about it. Also, I've kept this blog going for a while, which is something I've never done before. :)

Anyway, my new thing today was another recipe. I know a lot of my new things are recipes, so I'm trying to find new things to do that don't involve food. The truth is, since Lee and I moved I'm constantly experiencing new things! It's just that sometimes I don't get good pictures, or it's not interesting enough for a post.

Remember the pressure cooker lentils from Sunday? Well, I ran out of rice and thought I'd try naan to go with the leftovers. Here is the recipe I used: Budget Bytes Naan

I almost didn't make it because it was a nice cool 60 degrees here today and I'd need to sit the dough somewhere warm (85+?) to rise. I told Lee my concern and he suggested I cut the oven on and let it sit on top and be warm that way. But I didn't want to do that because the oven would be on for 45 minutes with nothing in it...it just felt inefficient. Finally I decided that I'd try to make it even though the oven would be necessary.

I went to the grocery store to get whole wheat flour, and on the way back I thought, "Man, it's kinda warm in this car."...DUH! Put the dough in the car to rise! Why have I never thought of this before? Brilliant!

So that's what I did!


And it's hard to tell from the picture, but it did rise to twice the size.


A little thing Mama taught me when I learned to make biscuits is to put down wax paper on your countertop so the mess is easier to clean up.

 
The big ball of dough yields 8 pieces! I found naan on sale this week at Publix, 2 pieces for $2.50. Beth at Budget Bytes estimated her costs to be $1.27 (in New Orleans a year and a half ago). I don't know what my costs were because I had all the ingredients besides the whole wheat flour, which I subbed for half of the regular, but assuming expensive ingredients for me and raising the cost to $2.00, I still managed to save $8.00 by making them myself instead of buying 8 on sale. Here is a little doughball. Ain't he cute? :)


I don't bake enough to have a rolling pin taking up space in the little kitchen, so I used a Nalgene bottle filled with water.


Into the pan it goes, and there were fun bubbles!


It took a while to cook all 8, so I occupied myself as well as possible while I waited for each one to cook. Among the things I did were: folded clean towels, started a load in the washer (don't worry, I didn't wash a roll of paper towels), washed dishes, cut up some training treats for Mindy, played the piano, and drank some water. After all that, a stack of naan!


Lee wanted to go with me to walk Mindy tonight, so I waited until he finished working at 5:00 to go. I was getting a little hungry, so I snatched a piece of naan before we left and tore it in half so I could share it with Lee. I'm not sure how it happened, or why, and I know you're gonna think I made this up: when I handed Lee the piece of naan, it shocked him. The naan shocked him, not my hand. HOW? I made electric naan? Hahaha! I'm starting to get a little nervous that one day one of us is just gonna burst into flames, because we shock each other all the time. And it's always awful! For a couple of weeks during the winter it was so bad that we were afraid to kiss each other because every time we did, we'd get shocked! It was like instant beatdown except we weren't doing anything wrong! Picture that scene in The Jerk on the beach when they're trying to kiss but not really and that's kinda what we looked like. Yeah, funny stuff!

At least the naan tasted good, even if it was electric somehow. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment