Sunday, April 22, 2012

April 22: Salvage

I don't know what the rules are for salvaging good quality items that people put out with trash, but I'm starting to think that if it's at the curb, it's fair game.

This afternoon when Lee and I came home from Walmart (ugh! it was such a bad trip too), someone had put out this really cool desk chair with a bag of trash (trash day is tomorrow). It was kind of old with scratches, but it had a vintage feel to it and worked properly. We both wanted to snatch it up, but we were worried someone was moving in and left it until they finished with another load, or something crazy like the weird guy who waters the tree left it there. So we decided that if it was still there tonight after most everyone was home/moved in/the plants were watered, we'd go back and get it if it was still there.

Around 9:30 Lee went outside and found that someone had not only gotten the chair, but they switched it out for their old desk chair! Hahaha! If we had to miss out, at least it was funny!

We were sad for a minute and we laughed for a minute, and then we went out for a little Sonic trip to get "Dreamsicle Waters" (water, vanilla and orange). On our way out of the neighborhood we saw that someone in another building had put out a trunk! We snatched it up!

We have another trunk/chest that I love. It looks old and worn.


It has really fun leather handles on the sides.


The new trunk we salvaged is a little smaller and newer-looking, but I like it a lot too.


The lock is different on it this one.


Here is the handle.


I think the reason they put it at the curb was this.


A little glue would fix that right up! And besides it's on the back at the bottom. Reminds me of a few years ago when Lee and I got a perfectly good dryer off a guy for free because the buzzer kept waking the baby. He bought a new one because of that. After we moved into the apartments in TN and I was worried the buzzer might bother somebody near us (it never bothered us before in SC because the laundry room was on the other side of the house), we disconnected it and our free dryer is working just fine without the buzzer. I almost feel guilty about that. :/

Mindy sniff-tested the inside of the trunk and gave her approval.


I don't know how I'll use these yet to decorate, but I'm sure I can figure out a way. I just need to get motivated and find ideas. :)


And also, a picture from last night, because it's funny. :)


Hey, I didn't put her there! I only took the picture!

No comments:

Post a Comment