Monday, April 16, 2012

Lee and I used to have one savings account for any money we saved. We tried to make little sub accounts (on paper, in excel, and in our minds) to save for specific things, like a new car, or maybe repairs on the house.

It never quite worked. But then I learned about online savings accounts, specifically ING Direct. I read about them at The Simple Dollar and Get Rich Slowly. (Disclaimer--nobody pays me anything to write this blog, and anything that I mention, I do so only because it's part of my trying new things, or because I like it) With ING, you can have multiple savings accounts to save for specific things, and you can manage them all in one place. There are no minimums or fees, and the rate is better than most brick and mortar banks. So we opened some accounts and started saving for specific things. So far it seems much easier!

After signing up for those, I learned we could also have one checking account apiece. Since we also needed a way for each of us to have a little of our own spending money, we also got Electric Orange checking accounts.

ING sends a debit card for each checking account and ours came in the mail a couple days ago. Today I used mine for the first time. This is what the card looks like. The card number is on the back.


I have a couple craft projects I'm planning, so I bought Elmer's glue and discounted cloth.


Now I've just got to find a way to keep up with transactions! I use a notebook for our regular joint checking (check registers were too hard to work with), but I haven't decided for my personal checking yet.


...Did you find Sasquatch on my notebook?

No comments:

Post a Comment