Wednesday, April 25, 2012

April 25: No sugar peanut butter

Lee and I have been cutting back a little on sugar intake lately. I'm down to 1/4 cup of sugar per gallon of iced tea, and no sugar in my coffee. I also haven't put sugar in oatmeal for a very long time. The good thing is that I feel content with all this and don't really miss the sugar.

Peanut butter is one of my favorite foods. Not the super-sweet, high-fructose corn syrup kind though. So far, I've only tried the no-stir natural peanut butters that still have added sugar and sometimes molasses. Today I tried natural peanut butter with only peanuts and salt (no sugar).


It's the kind you need to stir, so there was lots of oil on top that I had to be careful not to spill.


It wasn't easy to stir this without making a mess. I sloshed some out of the jar and down the sides despite being very careful. It took a while to stir it too. It reminded me of the consistency of very wet, gritty mud when there is a little water sitting on top of it that isn't part of the mud. And the picture on the jar looks nothing like the product inside.


I served the peanut butter on whole wheat toast just out of the toaster.


I really liked this peanut butter. I didn't miss the sugar at all. Neither did Lee. The texture is more gritty than the no-stir peanut butter, but I liked it that way. The heat from the toast made the peanut butter melt a little and get all gooey and nice.


No comments:

Post a Comment