Tuesday, April 17, 2012

April 17: Yarn wrapped bottles

Lee and I have a hobby of trying new beers. There are a few local breweries we've tried, and we also like to try seasonal beers of breweries that we already know. I was happy to find out from one of our friends that he knows someone who who uses bottle caps to make art, so we always save the caps for him!


But I still hadn't figured out what to do with the bottles. I'm not quite sure how to recycle in Williamson County yet, but I don't want to throw them away. Why not make crafts with them (or at least some of them)? Sounds good to me!

Here are the materials I used for this new project. And yes, the tea is the most important part! (Also, I needed scissors, but I forgot to put those in the picture)


And don't forget music in the background.



First, I had to make homemade decoupage. I found the recipe here: Do It Yourself Divas. I was so excited to have an excuse to buy "school supplies"! I had so much fun making swirls with the glue!


Okay, down to business. The whole bottle of glue, plus 4 oz. of water, and Shake Shake Shake!


Wrapping a bottle with yarn is a whole lot harder than I thought! The yarn didn't want to stay straight at all because the glue was so slick. I had to mold it with my fingers after I wrapped it. The larger yarn was easier to work with.


The finished bottles look pretty good!


Maybe I could add a flower to one, or wrap another size/type of bottle for some variety. But I like them plain too.


No comments:

Post a Comment